Contemporary Musical Theatre – BA (Hons) Pathway, Video Auditions
Here at ICTheatre we take the wellbeing of staff and visitors very seriously, so with that in mind and the uncertain landscape owing to COVID-19 (Coronavirus), we have decided to move to remote auditions until we are in a safe position to proceed as normal.
The audition process at ICTheatre will continue to be both in-depth and rigorous and reflects the nature of our training as well as a great learning experience. If accepted on to the course you will work intensely as part of an ensemble of training professionals over a period of three years. ICTheatre is dedicated to ensuring this ensemble reflects the rich diversity that exists within our communities. The Audition process will be assessed by specialist ICTheatre tutors and staff, and overseen by College Principal.
Prior to submitting your audition for our Contemporary Musical Theatre pathway, you will need to prepare the following:
- A short introduction of yourself, mentioning name, passions and interests, any concerns you have in regards to training and if you feel there are any areas where you might need any additional support.
- One monologue from a contemporary published play (written after 1950) 2 minutes in length. This monologue must not be written by the candidate or an unknown playwright, or taken from a film script. We strongly advise candidates to have read the play from which the monologue is taken as they may be asked about the context and to work on the piece at some stage during the audition process.
- The piece should involve a character close to your own age and should be performed in your native accent.
- Two contrasting songs from the musical theatre repertoire. One must pre-date 1965
- Learn the songs in full, but record yourself singing for 2 minutes per song
- Perform in the key they are written in
- Give yourself the opportunity to act through them
- They must not be from a classical repertoire (this includes opera)
You will be required to submit a dance audition. You will need to indicate your previous dance experience when submitting your dance audition. Please let us know:
- How long you have been dancing for
- What styles are you familiar with
- Do you have ballet experience
- Have you passed any grades
Please submit the following dance audition:
- Plie in 1st and 2nd
- Flat back with arms overhead in parallel
- Side on to camera – Roll down and up
- 8 small bounces / 8 small jumps in parallel / 8 small jumps in 2nd turnout
- Jazz piece lasting no more than 1 minute (no commercial and no trainers)
This dance audition will be an opportunity to demonstrate to the tutors that you show reasonable evidence of:
- A foundation in dance technique, or the potential and the physical facility to learn the technique
- An ability to self-choreograph, with the capability to implement any technical or stylistic flow
- A sense of performance within the style
- A strong work ethic, motivation and stamina to train and complete the course with success
It is advised that you should have some previous training and experience in dance when applying to this course, though extensive experience is not essential. You should apply yourself to the requirements to the best of your ability (any specific needs or requirements should be made clear to the admissions staff at the time of applying as per the ICTheatre application guidelines). Please wear suitable dance clothing for the dance element of your submission.
Once you have prepared the above, we ask that you self-tape using your phone. Set the phone up so that the length of your body is visible: not just your head.
Please submit a separate YouTube link for each element of your audition.
Please send these links to email@example.com
Alternatively you can send the videos via WeTransfer.
Following on from the submission of your audition, we will invite you to a FaceTime or Skype interview. This will be conducted by senior members of the ICTheatre team and will be a valuable opportunity for you to ask any questions you may have about the Contemporary Musical Theatre course, our school and ICTheatre ethos, so please prepare accordingly for this interview.
We will endeavour to notify you as soon as possible of the outcome of your audition, this is generally within 2-3 days.
You will receive your outcome via email and UCAS Track.
For any queries please do not hesitate in contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
We are grateful for your understanding and patience at this time and look forward to “business as usual” as soon as this is possible.